Moniker is owned by Oversee.net and without a doubt one of the most popular registrars who specifically cater to domainers. The founder and president of Moniker, Monte Cahn, was himself a domainer. He recognized the need for certain domain management tools from early on. As he developed his business, he made sure that the tools to effectively manage a large domain portfolio were in place. Moniker is the primary auction house at TRAFFIC conferences, in addition to RickLatona.
Aside from the tools and services they offer, Moniker is also known for their high security features. In todays world of hijacking and fraud, domainers must keep their assets safe, and Moniker helps them do this.
We were able to reach Genie White (Director of Marketing at Moniker) and ask a few questions about them. The answers below show exactly why Moniker has earned such prominence in the industry.
- iGoldrush: How long has your company been in business?
- Genie White: Moniker has been operating for more than 10 years as an accredited ICANN registrar and domain aftermarket sales provider. The company was founded by Monte Cahn. The original company operated under the name DomainSystems.com. Monte continued to grow the business as the business evolved. As a domain investor himself, he built the business around the professional tools he felt were needed in domain asset based marketplace. As a result, Moniker offers one of the most robust account control panels in the industry and pays attention to the other details that professional domain managers whether they are private investors or a large corporations not only value but have come to expect.
Staying true to its commitment to develop products for domain professionals, Moniker has continued to be a trend setter in so many ways. Please see some of the responses below for specific details.
- iGoldrush: How long have you been an ICANN accredited registrar?
- Genie White: Since 1999.
- iGoldrush: What other services (besides registration) do you offer?
- Genie White:
- Bulk asset management control panel (execute bulk changes on up to 5,000 domains at one time)
- Bulk registrations
- Bulk transfers
- Privacy services
- Domain MaxLock Highest level of domain security in the industry
- Aftermarket Sales online platforms include daily auctions and listing services
- Private brokerage
- Escrow services
- Industry-leading Domain Appraisals
- URL forwarding
- E-mail forwarding
- Domain Parking
- Domain monetization through DomainSponsor
- Expired Domain Services through SnapNames
- iGoldrush: What differentiates you from other registrars?
- Genie White: Security, service and innovation. Moniker is highly regarded as the safest registrars in the industry and is the only registrar that has never lost a domain due to highjacking or theft. Recently, Moniker has introduced even more security services to help investors and companies protect their domains in the face of security threats that may occur outside of the registrar, such as a hacked e-mail account.
Monikers top notch client service is also well recognized in the industry. The knowledgeable staff is available 7 days a week and can assist clients with all of their sales and registration needs. The online Moniker Support Center is monitored around the clock including weekends and holidays so urgent situations can be addressed right away.
But most importantly, Moniker is one of the main forces for driving the professionalism of the domain industry, and the chief proponent of Domain Asset Management, the concept that domains are valuable assets. When they were still cutting-edge services, Moniker introduced third-party Escrow Services to keep both domain buyers and sellers safe from scams. We developed the first IRS-recognized appraisal services featuring nearly 20 different criteria, and very early started developing a database of more than a half-million comparable domain sales. Moniker and SnapNames were the first companies to introduce the live and online domain auction on a grand scale to multitudes of buyers and sellers, serving to bring the fair-market approach and maximum transparency to domain sale prices. All of these services and numerous others combine to provide the ultimate set of tools to help investors and companies protect and grow the value of their domain assets.
- iGoldrush: If you had three words to describe your company, what would they be?
- Genie White:
- iGoldrush: Do you have any ‘cool trivia facts’ about your company our readers might find interesting?
- Genie White:
- Moniker was the first company to broker a sale of more than $1 million and $2 million respectively.
- At $9.5 million, Moniker still holds the record for the highest all-cash domain sale (Porn.com)
- Moniker assisted in the sale of the highest price portfolio sale – Yun Ye sale to Marchex for $165 million
- Moniker was the first company to develop a true domain appraisal algorithm.
- Moniker invented and pioneered WhoIs privacy
- Moniker invented and pioneered true domain escrow services
- SnapNames invented and pioneered the first expired name/snapback service
- Moniker pioneered the live auction format for selling domains.